Monday, January 6, 2014

Thinking more about the Sorcerer

The first place I looked was an OSR game that I knew used sorcerers: Blood and Treasure. B&T, of course, takes a lot more from 3rd edition than many OSR games, and this of course means that it has a Sorcerer class. The one present there is pretty much a straight adaptation of the 3.x one, sacrificing the potential diversity of a spellbook for spontaneous casting and more spells per day.

Now this does have the advantage of being very simple and straightforward, which is usually a useful thing, but I can't help but think that I'd like a little more emphasis on the sorcerer's magical bloodline-- this is something that both 4e and Pathfinder did with their interpretations. 4e, solid game though it is, suffers from compatibility issues, so I think my next avenue of research should be to look a little at how Pathfinder did things. I think one release or the other of Dangers and Dweomers did something like that too, so I'll consult that as well. Either way, not too much emphasis, just... something. Either way I think a draft might be coming in the next 2-3 days.

Update: A little crossreferencing suggests that a lot of what Luigi went with was to borrow elements from the PF bloodlines. I don't know if I'll do the same, but it does provide food for thought at least.

No comments: